News                
SKJOLDENÆSHOLMTRAM MUSEUM

28. October 2004

The renovation of the tram no. 890


The A-section arrived at the museum on 28 August. It was immediately placed on bogies, joined to the central section and then run onto track 7, which functions as the museum's fitting shop. The tram body and floor have been wrapped in plastic and cardboard to avoid accidental damage from tools being carried past it.

Inside, the electrical team are busy attaching 600 V cables to their original holders and placing them in the original ducts. These are mainly cables from the tram's distributor to the resistances on the roof and under the tram, and naturally to the motors, etc. The sister tram 815 is good to have around, as here you can see how the cables have been placed in the various wooden holders. 

 

Much highly necessary time is also spent studying the circuit diagrams, to make sure everything is connected properly and will work. Any damaged cables are replaced, although there have been very few of these so far. Parts of the 24 V system have however been replaced, as the cables connecting the speaker system, passenger stop buttons, automatic doors, etc., have been cut at many points.

Other staff are busy restoring the distributor, and here RBG 2415 has come in handy with some good spare parts, as the bearings, for example, have been "sanded down" in Egypt and must be replaced.

New wood has been ordered for the gangway planks on the roof, so that it will be safe for the museum staff to work there. The iron covers over the resistance boxes on the roof have turned out to be rather more rusty than was previously thought, so we are considering making replacements from scratch for these relatively simple parts. The base of the trolley pole will have to be straightened, as it has become crooked.

The internal roofing panels have been thoroughly cleaned with lye soap and then high-pressure hosed. The wooden structure around the driver's position was originally made of blockboard, to which elm veneer was glued on the vertical pieces, which were then woodstained and varnished. The instrument panel, which should be green, was originally a kind of fibreglass, but we are considering a more up-to-date type of panel, and would like to find the right colour. We expect to have to replace large much of the panelling around the driver's position, and have located a suitable elm veneer supplier. That way, we can make sure the tram's interior is just as smart as its exterior. The side panels along the seats are a German panel product, also in stained elm veneer. We have some contacts in Germany who are searching for the original type of panel in the right colour.

We have managed to procure a lot of decorative mouldings from the Swedish tramway company Göteborg Spårvägar. Now we just need to find a supplier of push-buttons and control buttons for the driver's controls. Many of the buttons were of a type supplied by Bosch, while others came from the German company Voigt & Haffner. Unfortunately, the standard size for push-buttons has been altered from 30 mm to 22 mm, so we hope to be able to contact someone who knows where to find the older types.

- - - -

Work on the B-section is making good progress at the workshops of Vestsjællands Lokalsbaner in Holbæk. Large parts of the rear section, i.e. the roof and window area down to the bumper, have been cut away from beside the door frame on the conductor's side across to the opposite side. The rear end has suffered a considerable collision, and during subsequent repairs in Alexandria, around 40 cm of the rear platform was replaced and lowered by about 6 - 8 cm! To correct the level of the rear platform, the internal butt-strap has been replaced with the one from MVG 255, which is donating original DüWag parts for the restoration.

The right side of the body has also suffered some major damage, and the door frame in door three is completely split and provides no support or reinforcement for the body. All the non-original parts have been cut out and replaced with the corresponding pieces from the above-mentioned MVG 255.

To straighten up the bottom of the body, it was placed on four jacks welded to the floor and trolley. After that, a large I-girder was laid along the length of the tram which, with the help of the jacks, straightened out the floor, which is now plumb both lengthwise and horizontally. The bends in the frame, including the drastic shift in the rear platform, can now be raised to the correct floor height. The new butt strap adds stability to the floor construction. This whole long process is necessary to ensure a good "foundation" in the chassis before we restore the rest of the tram.

The left-hand side of the frame is in relatively good condition, and here we will really only need to replace the side panels, including the skirt.

New, rolled roofing plates have been purchased to replace the original roof, which is now very worn and battered.